Educators are designers. This is the first design principle
that we discussed. We are also crazy planners. We are given a list of things to
cover or accomplish, and a teacher can whip together a plan that covers
everything with a hook, a hands-on activity, practice, and an assessment.
However, that is not inherently design. Until now, I haven’t really considered
the difference between planning and designing, though clearly it is something
we need to do.
As a teacher, I believe that I am currently more of a
planner, getting together with the other teachers who also teach what I do
(either 3rd grade, science & social studies, or math) to make a
9-weeks plan or year-long curriculum map. These help my teammates, specialists,
and others see what we plan to teach each month. It helps me set a logical
sequence of content areas so what I teach later can help reinforce what I’ve
already taught. It is intentional, time-consuming, and important. One must have
a plan to get started and know where we’re going. This is not design.
Design, however, must be part of my process. Once I have a
plan of the topic I will be teaching, I need to think about HOW I am going to
get my students to understand, interact with, and ultimately learn what they
need to learn. One thing that we’ve been trying to incorporate with my 3rd
grade team when we plan is the idea of “Backward Design.” This is thinking
about the end goal or product helps us set steps we can take to reach that
ultimate goal. I have to make sure I don’t just use this as a “backwards plan”
by looking at the calendar of when the test will be and fitting in the
instructional days. Yes, I want my students to do well on a multiplication exit
ticket, but I also want them to have mathematical fluency and number literacy.
I want them to understand the underlying mathematical principles that will help
them interpret these concepts, so what experiences or techniques can I give
them to help them? This will require designing more experiences to make sure I
accommodate all of my students’ needs and background knowledge.
A few years ago, when my students discussed rules and laws,
they kept asking why certain things were allowed or not allowed. They focused
on one law, so since we couldn’t vote, we decided to write letters to Congress.
To write these letters, however, we had to work backwards to make sure we did
everything we could to make our letters convincing, appropriate, and effective.
We looked at persuasive writing, how to research, how to read data and evaluate
websites, letter writing, and how to identify who our Congress members were. We
had to look at the structure of our government to see who would be most
appropriate as the audience for our letters. Looking back, I had to design this
project to reach our goals. We had to set our steps, but my ultimate goal in
this wasn’t necessarily the letters. Sure, we all sent letters and even
received a response from former Rep. Wolf. We were all excited! However, my
actual goal was (and still is) to develop civic responsibility and awareness in
my students. I know they are only 8 years old now, but if they grow into
informed citizens when they reach voting age, we will have a more educated and
informed electorate who can make independent, educated decisions.
The way in which this principle may affect my practice is
that it will cause me to stop and consider if I am simply planning an activity
or series of lessons, or if I can focus on the goal. One example is planning
our field trip to Blandy in the spring, which was relatively easy. I worked
with my principal to secure the buses, worked with the bookkeeper to collect
the money to pay for the trip, and scheduled the trip with Blandy educators to teach
our students about soil. However, this is simply planning. I need to think
about designing the activities around the trip so our students can get even
more out of it. I would love to find ways for our third graders to apply the
knowledge we gain about soil and plants. Our students will need that knowledge
in the future. This will take more designing that simply planning.

I can relate when you talk about the importance of a curriculum pacing guide. I feel as though that thing is my teaching bible for the year. I often feel like I have attachment issues and can't deviate from the "plan." This year I am trying to do more PBL and lest "traditional." I love how your class wrote letters to congress rather than lecturing and assessing in the more traditional way. This year in my class we held an election in my class when learning about civis and governemnt. I thought it went really well, and the kids enjoyed it! So I know it works, I often find it harder to assess and to justify in a grade book. How did you assess them once they wrote their letters? Did you look for standards in the writing or how well they grasped the overall concept? Let me know how the field trip goes as well. I would love to share it with my team as well.
ReplyDeleteTo me it seems clear that design is something you already value in teaching (even if you said you've never really considered the difference between planning and designing before!) I think there are absolutely parts of making a 9 week plan or a year-long curriculum map that are design-centered and not just planning centered. I'm sure you consider the sequence of instruction within units, and it sounds like you also consider the flow of events within your individual lessons. That's design! Certainly the example you gave of the letter writing project is design, but I think there are smaller scale (though not less important) design elements in some of the processes you described.
ReplyDeleteIt's not a coincidence to me that the project you described and the podcast project from the article we read in class are both great examples of design, and they both center around an authentic contexts. Creating real-world scenarios in which students can apply skills and content they've learned provides an accurate assessment opportunity for teachers and allows students to continue to learn as they are creating. Thanks for sharing your design!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Caroline – it sounds to me like you have elements of design in your planning. The letters to representatives seems like an entirely designed and student centered activity. I share Jasmine’s questions – how did you assess this project? It would seem that grasping the concept would be an appropriate gauge however I know that there are many writing strands that students need to graded on for the report cards and this seems in direct conflict of purpose of the activity. If student was able to write a persuasive letter but didn’t clearly make revisions or had some issues with capitalization or punctuation would they deserve a lower grade? We grade a letter each year the student’s write to Veterans and another letter they write to accompany a gift to a sick child they make at the end of our economics unit and I have struggled with these questions.
DeleteWe also do a free field trip to Morvan Park in the Spring. Information below – and they do a wonderful job of getting the students engaged in soil and each group (5 per class) leaves with a bucket of soil they mixed after investigating the different components of soil. We can plant seeds (also provided) in the soild and then see who’s soil composition is the best. It is a wonderful field trip
I love that you are already looking at things you have planned for the year and how you can change them to meet design (working smarter not harder). That field trip seems like a great place to start. Could students use the knowledge about soil and plants to help create a milkweed garden for the second graders butterfly unit?
ReplyDelete