Friday, November 10, 2017

Are You Net Smart?



 
Net Smart is a very informative, dense book with lots of practical tips and helpful suggestions, along with detailed anecdotes about the author’s experiences from the emergence of the online world until now. I appreciate that he’s interviewed the experts and consolidated his advice and techniques into one book, though it is a bit tedious at times. His postulates that the five digital literacies are: 1. Attention; 2. Participation; 3. Collaboration; 4. Critical Consumption (or “Crap Detection”); and 5. Network Smarts. Some of these ideas overlapped with The Information Diet.



I could easily pull dozens of skills that I would love to teach my third graders right now from the bulleted lists in the final chapter of the book, titled “How (Using) the Web (Mindfully) Can Make You Smarter.” Some of these points would benefit ALL users of the web and comment boards, like “Assume goodwill: when you think someone else is attacking you, it’s likely a misunderstanding.” Another gem from the Participation collection of bullet points is, “Crap detect thyself before broadcasting something as an assertion of fact.” Oh Snopes – what would we do without you?? I am most curious about the concept of training my attention. That is one of the things students and parents most often comment they struggle with. We are being hit from a hundred different directions with a constant barrage of information, communication, and distraction. It’s no wonder our attention spans are not better than they are – students and adults alike! In the 15 years since I started teaching, I’ve noticed that my teaching style needs to incorporate more moving, videos, or other devices to hold attention. Our classroom presentations need to be flashier to hold our students’ waning attentions.



How do the concepts from Howard Rheingold impact my practice? I would like to reread through the Attention chapter and the bullet points and select a few to start teaching my students to help them be more technologically literate individuals. We always hear that “these kids today are great at technology.” What we always notice in the classrooms is that yes, they can use technology to distract themselves, and they can use apps and games, or change settings, but when it really comes down to their skills, they are not able to produce things with technology. Being consumers is one skill, but being producers able to create goods that others will actually want to download or buy is a much more useful skill. Employers don’t want job candidates who can surf the web, play games, complete online quizzes, and post to social media. They need employees who add value to their companies by leveraging the technology available to them to produce things, but who are also skilled at collaborating and communicating appropriately in person and virtually. These are no small tasks, since many teachers in classrooms are not proficient at these skills either (not because they can’t, but because they don’t have the technical experience). Being able to network and complete tasks virtually connected through the cloud or other program is one that our current students may be required to do daily, but for now is a novel task that not many of us teachers have tried out yet. I think one of the most important things I took out of the attention chapter is not necessarily about technology – it’s about mindfulness: stopping to pay attention to what is going on now. It’s also about setting goals. These are things that I can try to teach my students whether I have access to the laptop cart or not, and I know I would benefit from it as well!

4 comments:

  1. You liked my least favorite chapter. Those 75 pages made me angry and resentful to read through because I had so many other things to do and it felt like such a waste of the little time I had. I really think you pulled some great ideas out of the chapter that I was in too negative a space to internalize. I took place in a the Loundoun ½ day digital learning day last April and one of the presentation I attended was on Mindfulness - they had use sign up for an account that was not ultimately free and I did not get a chance (thanks to the SOLs) to use this with my class before my free trial expired. I think that just as we are introducing students to create goals and really participate in their learning (something I know I didn’t do when I was 8) that creating students that can “stop and pay attention to where they are right now” will alleviate the extreme anxiety that I see in my students. We had student led conferences this year (which was wonderful) and for the first time ever we had 3 students and 2 parents cry. The students that cried had worked themselves up into such a fit of anxiety that they were going to disappoint their parents (and these were not students that needed to worry about this). Kids put so much pressure on themselves and I know some comes from parents and extreme testing but they need to find an outlet. It’s very concerning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the most meaningful part of the book was the bullet points in the last chapter. The rest of it was more like a monologue in a movie like Cast Away and I just couldn't get into it. I have found with the change in technology everyone wants things faster not just the younger generations. Who really takes time to read the long 5 paragraph emails in one sitting anymore? It is too much information and people start thinking of other things by the end of paragraph 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that my students are having a hard time focusing or staying still for the duration of a lesson. And I am not sure but when I was growing up, we did not have a choice. Now we offer so many options for our students with differentiated seating option and table options. (aka more distractions). I mean we did not have all these flashy new chairs and we did just fine! But I too am incorporating more movement weather it is centers, or an interactive song. Something, ANYTHING to keep their focus.

    ReplyDelete