Copyright
is one of those things that has always been completely confusing and daunting,
mainly because the threat of legal consequences hangs over our heads and
teaching licenses if we cross into illegal use of materials. In my first five
years of teaching in a different school system, I attended trainings, NTTI
conferences, VSTE, and other events where I learned about copyright and usage
rules. Some of the rules were absolutely confusing, but they reflected the
technology we had at the time – VHS recordings and non-digital copies of shows
and video clips. I remember some complicated formulas, including you could use
a show if it had been publicly broadcast within 10 days on a channel, or
something… Needless to say, I couldn’t keep track of when shows were televised
and ended up never using those videos, despite the fact that they illustrated
my lessons perfectly.
The
book, Copyright Clarity, has many great examples to demonstrate fair
use. An important quote from the book summarizes one of the main ideas of what Renee
Hobbs is teaching us: “Fair use cannot be reduced to a checklist. Fair use
requires that people think.” Reasonableness is up to an individual’s judgement,
so each of us may have a different interpretation on “fair use,” but we may
each choose to use our own materials in our classrooms, and that’s fine. The
questions we need to ask relate to how we are transforming the original
materials to decide if it’s a fair use when we use materials to create
something new. First, what is the purpose of our using those materials. Second,
what is the nature of the work. Third, how much of the original work are we
using? Finally, will our use of materials negatively impact the creator’s
market impact? Having these four fair-use questions to ask ourselves (and teach
our students to ask themselves) is liberating. It is up to us to decide If our
use is fair-use or copyright infringement. It’s also interesting that different
industries with interests in copyright are out there trying to “teach”
consumers, educators, and students about copyright issues. Hmmm… all the more
reason to teach our students to think for themselves, be ethical
decision-makers, and do their own research!
| PICKLE Skills Required |
I agree copyright has always been one of those things that has been confusing and daunting. Sticking to Safari Montage just seems safe. We have access to Discovery Education and Brain Pop Jr. as well so I almost feel sometimes we have more resources than I can search through. I love the quote from the book - I think I’m using it in my PechaKucha (still drafting). In understanding my right to justify the use of copyrighted material I still feel the need to tread lightly but thoughtfully. I need practice being an ethical decision maker in this area before I feel qualified to teach it to my students.
ReplyDeleteI do feel like I'm getting mixed messages in regards to copy right information! The quiz that we took didn't seem to deliver the same message as Copyright Clarity, so confusing and daunting are definitely accurate words here. Despite lack of clarity, though, I have never felt that I shouldn't use something I thought would be worthwhile--maybe it's because I haven't heard the horror stories though :P
ReplyDeleteI like how you brought the PICKLE back into the conversation. In fact, understanding copyright and fair use questions is a type of problem that students and teachers need to address. Students should not become complacent after hearing one perspective on copyright issues. The idea of copyright and fair use is a concept that each student will need to apply individually.
ReplyDeleteIt is funny that you too were confused on the quiz. I was talking to Jared about it in class as well and we had a similar discussion. I too have a better understanding of Copyright and am eager to teach my kids that it is not as scary as we all know it to be.
ReplyDeleteI watched a couple of videos where Renee Hobbs spoke at the University of Rhode Island. In one of them she stated that as long as we could say why it was fair use in the classroom then we could use it but when we stop asking those questions and sticking up for fair use in the classroom we will lose it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7OUftHrOzI
ReplyDelete